Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Good Night Lights  (Read 7676 times)

Scrivo

• Club Members
Good Night Lights
« on: 18, September, 2016, 10:44:02 PM »
I had a set of MagicShines years ago and I couldn't really fault them. Yeah, the battery looked a bit lashed together and the head unit (I had the Micky Mouse setup) was a bit heavy but I couldn't really complain for 90.
I've been searching for a higher quality setup but haven't been able to find anything that represents a big jump from the MagicShine. The Exposures are great in that the unit is self contained but I like a single lamp helmet setup and anything in the Exposure range that can do this is too heavy. Oh- they're 300+ which is a bit mad for a torch too.

Anyway, I decided to give the new generation of MagicShine from magicshine.co.uk a go and I am blown away by the quality. I got this 2000lumen one with rear light included: http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/featured-products/magicshine-mj-902-2000-lumen-bike-light-combo.html

First thing that struck me is the quality of everything. It's all properly sealed and could easily have a HOPE logo laser cut into it and I would believe it. The head unit is tiny and weighs barely anything. 2000l is more than I could ever want and the fact that the unit is so light (pun intended) is great for helmet use. The wireless remote is a cool extra too.

Fantastic customer service from Magicshine.co.uk and a first class light. Now to put it to the test over the long winter :-)

Muddy-Fox

Re: Good Night Lights
« Reply #1 on: 19, September, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »
Nice one Scriv for the review, have to purchase a new light this Season and was definitely going Magicshine

Wait a minute, are you now a factory rider giving them reviews for a freebie...????

Who done that one year, someone in the club........

Nobody makes me bleed my Own Blood !!!

Scrivo

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: 19, September, 2016, 09:50:21 PM »
Hahaha I think that might have been the Bomba Boydell :-D :-D

MaddogIRL

« Reply #3 on: 26, September, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »
Hey Scrivo, lookin at these myself. Have you had to use them yet? Good review btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrivo

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: 26, September, 2016, 10:37:19 PM »
Yep I used them the other night in Ballinastoe. Absolutely fantastic. I'm not a fan of having two lights to mess with and I'm happy to report that there is no need for anything else than this on your helmet. Great purchase!

Try this code for 10% off: NWS10
« Last Edit: 26, September, 2016, 11:43:14 PM by AussieSteve »

MaddogIRL

« Reply #5 on: 27, September, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
Thanks. I have them ordered.

sikelly

« Reply #6 on: 12, October, 2016, 01:09:49 AM »
Cheers for the review Scrivo. My two 2yr old cheapo chinese batteries died an hour and a half into a spin tonight after a full charge. Time for new lights. Very tempted by your recommendation here. Especially by the fact that only one light is required. One question, I normally put my helmet light battery pack into my backpack. The battery on this looks pretty big. How big is it roughly? What way are you running it? I would have thought mounting it on the bike, top tube or wherever, would mean major hassles with the cables to prevent straggling and snagging potential.

Thanks, Simon.

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: 12, October, 2016, 12:16:49 PM »
Hi Simon,

Might just be a battery upgrade required rather than going the full monty on a complete new lightset.

That lightset that Scrivo posted has a 5.2Ah 7.4V lithium ion battery included which chances are is significantly more than what you had last night.

You can buy individual batteries here: http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/batteries.html

Longer lasting batteries are bigger. They're all based on standard lithium cells. The more cells packed in, the more duration you get so it results in a bigger battery pack. No getting around that at the moment.

You can stash the battery in a backpack or in a pocket and use an extension lead if necessary. (http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/bike-lights/accessories.html)

My own headlight blinked out last night on the second last trail - I still had a bar light (bigger battery mounted on the top tube) so it was ok-ish. I had the headlight on full power for a lot of the spin and the inevitable happened - should have reduced it more when appropriate to save power.
« Last Edit: 12, October, 2016, 12:28:35 PM by Stephen McMullan »

MaddogIRL

« Reply #8 on: 12, October, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »
Lights arrived today. Just tested them at home and DEAR GOD I think I'm blind! Can't wait to give them a proper test. Quality is great. I'll give a further review when I'm properly tested them.

edson

« Reply #9 on: 13, October, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »
I ordered those as well and they arrived yesterday. Time to test them out tonight in Ticknock!

dom17

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: 14, October, 2016, 08:18:24 PM »
How did the lights go Finbar ?

David D

• MAD MTB Committee
  • Club Members
« Reply #11 on: 14, October, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »
They didn't come with GPS

edson

« Reply #12 on: 15, October, 2016, 11:19:54 AM »
They didn't come with GPS

Haha! I had the front light on my handlebar, which wasn't the best place for it really, need to figure out how to attach it to my helmet and where to carry the battery pack (rear light attaches to same battery). But the light itself is plenty bright, no complaints there! Worth the buy alright.

Finbar.

Scrivo

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: 15, October, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »
I bought the velcro helmet mount that they sell. Nothing fancy but does the job. I don't think there's any need for a bar light with this beast on your helmet

Hywel

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: 25, October, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
As we are heading into winter and this question comes up from time to time, thought I'd share this article I came across for bike lights on bike radar (updated for 2020):

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-mountain-bike-lights/

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin