Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: New Bike: Advice needed...  (Read 16185 times)

krezi

• Club Members
Re: New Bike: Advice needed...
« Reply #45 on: 03, August, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »
Nobby nics come in different types and sizes.... The worst performing from schwalbe range are those called performance.... you would be surprised they come standard on many pricey bikes and you would better avoid those! Then you have trailstar vs pacestar variety- first ones are more grippy and usually put on the front. I run 2.35 nobby nics trail up front and 2.25 pace on the rear on my all mountain bike and quite happy with this set up. If you're looking at more enduro orientated tyre than magic Mary is one of the best out there in both dry and wet . the only drawback is tyre weight but who would worry about it on enduro rig anyways!

Jonny

« Reply #46 on: 04, August, 2017, 12:12:34 PM »
Thanks Pawel . The trance comes with the trail/pace setup that you mentioned . Still find the front sketchy though . Maybe I'm taking more risks on the bigger bike - better pilot ( like Dom for example ) may be required....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #47 on: 04, August, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
Hey Jonny, I'm not exactly a role model for technique but I've done a lot of trial and error to be fair and these "scientific" experiements usually result in a bit of blood and skin loss. There are all sorts of changes you could make e.g. running lower pressure, wider rims, different tyres, more aggresive thread etc etc

One thing I did notice however when riding more aggresive bikes (in terms of geometry) was of course tackling steeper trails and I still had the tendency to go back...way back....and as a result there wasn't much weight on the front wheel and it was barely tracking in control and then the least bump, root, schlipiness and it was washout time

Might be an idea to check if you're too far back on the bike or get someone to check your positioning on the bike, attack position etc when things get aggro

Needless to say I'm still working on this myself and I have all sorts of aggro tyres

Vigilante up front / Vigilante/Breakout/Trailboss on the back depending on the weather/distance pedalled

Minion DHF/High Roller front and rear depending on....just depending
« Last Edit: 04, August, 2017, 12:22:13 PM by Stephen McMullan »

Liam Phelan

• Club Members
« Reply #48 on: 04, August, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
Did it happen going over bumps? Good it be quick rebound maybe?

Had nobby nicks before on the canyon, thought they were fine.

muckwarrior

• Club Members
« Reply #49 on: 04, August, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
Second what Stephen said. I remember how you were saying how the front wheel seems so much farther out in front compared to your old bike, this means your weight should probably also be farther forward to keep enough weight on it. This can be difficult when you're used to a steep head angle and are afraid of being thrown over the bars. Also remember, as a general rule, go low before going back. It should be pretty rare that you actually need to hang off the back.

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #50 on: 04, August, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
...go low before going back...

I like that. I'm going to try and keep that in mind specifically on muddy trails. I'm finding when things get slippy I'm reacting by going back and braking....WRONG!

SoaringPanda

« Reply #51 on: 04, August, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »
In terms of weight on the front end I found lowering the stem height helps your riding position. I also run less pressure in the front tire.

muckwarrior

• Club Members
« Reply #52 on: 04, August, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
...go low before going back...

I like that. I'm going to try and keep that in mind specifically on muddy trails. I'm finding when things get slippy I'm reacting by going back and braking....WRONG!
Another extremely useful thing I only learned relatively recently is to hinge at the hip when getting low. Probably doesn't apply to everyone, but I used to be guilty of squatting and bending my back instead of my hips. Here's a good video explaining the difference.

Jonny

« Reply #53 on: 04, August, 2017, 02:14:06 PM »
Great info guys. Guess the tyres are just one part of a complex equation and I should look at each of those parts before just shelling out. Suspension setup is definitely something I'm not totally comfortable with so maybe  looking for some pointers from the gurus on the next spin. Thanks again for the response .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin