Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Da Cooley Thriller 12th of August 2017  (Read 5898 times)

tom

• Club Members
Re: Da Cooley Thriller 12th of August 2017
« Reply #15 on: 13, August, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
That was a super day on the cooley mtns. some tough climbs, great singletrack, sunny weather, and a roadie tan thrown in too. and great company all round. as previously said, always great representation from MAD.
Thanks to Conor for the odd pitstop - cramp got the better of me at times! But great day all the same.

AussieSteve

• Life Member & Former MAD MTB Chairman
  • Global Moderator
  • Member since 2008
« Reply #16 on: 13, August, 2017, 11:14:45 PM »
Yeah, that was a great day on the bike.  The weather was kind to us and it made all the difference.  The scenery was spectacular. 

It was never going to be be easy, but to claim it as accomplished made it worth the effort.  However, due to my freehub loosing the run of itself about 10km from the finish, I wasn't able to pedal on anything other than dead flat, and even that was hit and miss.  So from the last feed station, I was basically walking or coasting!

Needless to say, I really enjoyed the last descent down into Carlingford.

Ratz

« Reply #17 on: 14, August, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »
God, I thought I was ok fitness wise going into the event, but I forgot how long and challenging that course is. After the 3rd station I was really tiring. I was a few minutes down on last year and it felt like that too on the course. Funny how individually all of those climbs are fine, but then become a very different prospect when the legs are hurting. Id like to prepare better for next year I think!
But that cannot take away from the day, the course, the single track, the scenery, the amazing xc circuit that it is, it is an epic loop. Well done to everyone that participated, and finished, the final descent is such a good way to take it home!
Unfortunately when I finished the race I realised I had lost my phone on the route, so I became consumed with trying to solve that problem and meant I couldn't chill out back at the Foy centre to savour the day with the fellow club members, which is a pity because everyone's deserves that after completing the course. I was not being rude!
I ended up driving up to the aerials again to retrace the first rocky decent where I had a spill on the loose gravel and in the process of ringing the phone in trying to locate it was answered from the curry station by one if the friendly ladies!!! it was found on course and brought down. i never went back to the centre after that, someone brought it back up for me.
Great day on the bike, tough but very rewarding....

krezi

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: 14, August, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
that was a fantastic day on the bike and the views and scenery there is unreal! The weather played a part as well with great visibility and sunshine.
Having said that it was a tough race and I had to really dig deep to reach the finish line! Lack of practice clearly showed for similar distance and elevation gain. Last 10 km was quite painful and also regretted putting clipless pedals on as I normally ride flats and didn't feel as confident as normally on techy sections.

The organisation was top notch and great chat to many familiar faces from MAD and outside. Defo need to do similar distance and gain for next year!

flyingalexf68

« Reply #19 on: 16, August, 2017, 12:34:11 AM »
I'll echo what the others have said, it was a great event but seriously tough. I hadn't prepared or trained at all but decided to give it a lash anyway. The borrowed 29er was great, lovely on the climbs (well the bits I could pedal anyway) and ridiculous on the descents, just point it down the hill and let go of the brakes and it flew over everything. From about the second bottle drop I really struggled with cramp in my legs if I tried to exert anything other than a gentle effort so couldn't get up the hills very well, I ended up pushing the bike a good bit. Never had cramps before but then I've never cycled so far with that much climbing. I'll do it next year but will train for it. My time was 5:26 and I'm happy with that as I was far from last but honestly didn't think for a moment that it would take that long before starting the race. I was completely shattered at the finish line.

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin