Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Vitus First Tracks Enduro Cup Round 2, Donard Park – 20/21st May 2017  (Read 3606 times)

MAD Committee

• Team MAD
  • Committee
Vitus First Tracks Enduro Cup Round 2,
Donard Park
20/21st May 2017

Without doubt Donard has some of the best trails in the country. If it’s a challenge you are after then you will find it here. It’s the week before the Irish EWS so you never know who you could be rubbing shoulders with! New sections and stages await you.
Main race – 5 x 3-7min stages, 18km lap, fitness 8/10, skill 9/10
Sport – 3 x 3-7min stages, 12km lap, fitness 7/10, skill 8/10
http://firsttracksmtb.com/race/dates/

JCostello

• Committee
Anyone else thinking of heading up for this?

I was up there at the weekend and the trails are great. See a report from Stephen from a previous trip http://madmtb.com/forum/index.php?topic=259.msg1833#msg1833 (thanks Stephen that was a big help).

The trails are generally steep, fun and fast. One of the stages starts with a series of 4 jumps  :) . There has been some felling over the last while so two of the stages from last year are out and there are new additions.

If anyone is heading up let me know, I'm going to start looking for accommodation in the next few days.

ruth:D

• MAD Club Treasurer 2019-2020
  • Club Members
This is tempting, sounds great.
But EWS is the following weekend so I probably won't, still not sure if it would be good or bad idea to do in preparation.

JCostello

• Committee
Hi Ruth, the only thing I can add is that it's quite short at 18km and the transitions are relatively easy compared to some. See you in Bree on Sunday if you want to know more. .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ruth:D

• MAD Club Treasurer 2019-2020
  • Club Members
Hi Ruth, the only thing I can add is that it's quite short at 18km and the transitions are relatively easy compared to some. See you in Bree on Sunday if you want to know more. .

18km sounds nice  ;D 
See you in Bree!

dom17

• Club Members
I might be interested in this John, but I would want to go up there beforehand to see what I'm getting myself into. Might take a venture up there on Monday and do the trails as per Stephens strava or if you have a strava ride for the day you were up there that I could follow.

JCostello

• Committee
Dom, here's a map with what we did and some info on the stages https://webcloud8.zaclys.com/index.php/s/L5uTdsKm9t1QLhm.

Check out my Strava too. You'll enjoy it I think.

One of the stages from last year had no exit that we could find (due to felling) and we had to push back up. Another had the lower part gone to felling, but the top section is most of it and is well worth it. Also not such a big spin back to the top. Some locals told us that there are some new stages for this year, but we didn't have time to go back up for them.

Be great to have the company on the weekend.

dom17

• Club Members
John still considering doing this where did you get accommodation

DerMot

• Club Members
  • Club Member
Can't recommend this one enough.

Short, punchy, steep, fun.  Can be slippy in the loam.

JCostello

• Committee
Sorry Dom, I should have posted.  I'm going to be getting stiches out this weekend instead. Was in bike park last weekend and a tree came at me out of nowhere :)

I hadn't looked for accommodation, but should be a few options around Newcastle.

dom17

• Club Members
No worries John, them trees are good at jumping out of nowhere.

I went up there last week but for some reason strava didn't load so I was winging it so not sure if I was doing the enduro trails.

Will decide tomorrow with the weather deciding it for me

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin