Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: 1x11 conversion  (Read 15663 times)

shortcut

• Club Members
Re: 1x11 conversion
« Reply #30 on: 15, November, 2016, 04:19:17 PM »
As I understand it: A ten speed chain won't work well with 11 speed cassette because it is too wide and simply won't work very well, this is more the width of the side plates on the chain than anything else.  The distance between the rollers is the same though hence why the chainrings between 11 and 10 speed or even 9 is fine when running single ring.

CormacP

• www.cormacphelan.com
« Reply #31 on: 15, November, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
Is it conceivable that a chain on a 1x setup wears quicker than on a double or triple? 

Are you using an 11-speed chain? A 10 speed chain will wear out an 11 speed cassette much faster as the gaps between rollers are slightly too big. (At least that's my understanding of it.)

I'm not sure that's actually the case, 11 and 10 speed chains have an identical distance between rollers/pins (explanation here, the term is "chain pitch"). "Chain width" refers to the distance between the side link plates, which definitely does change between 10 and 11 speed chains, but I'm not sure if that affects the rate of wear on a chain.

muckwarrior

• Club Members
« Reply #32 on: 15, November, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »
I guess a 1x might wear faster than a 2x or 3x due to the fact that it's on the same chainring 100% of the time, meaning the chainring (and therefore the chain) would wear a bit faster.

WeekendWarrior

• Club Members
« Reply #33 on: 15, November, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »
Is it conceivable that a chain on a 1x setup wears quicker than on a double or triple? 

Are you using an 11-speed chain? A 10 speed chain will wear out an 11 speed cassette much faster as the gaps between rollers are slightly too big. (At least that's my understanding of it.)

I'm not sure that's actually the case, 11 and 10 speed chains have an identical distance between rollers/pins (explanation here, the term is "chain pitch"). "Chain width" refers to the distance between the side link plates, which definitely does change between 10 and 11 speed chains, but I'm not sure if that affects the rate of wear on a chain.

Ah OK, I stand corrected!

Liam Phelan

• Club Members
« Reply #34 on: 16, November, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »

Jayzus. I have read that blog post several times now and I'm still struggling to grasp it. It need some illustrations I think. :-)

simonr

• Club Members
« Reply #35 on: 16, November, 2016, 04:11:57 PM »
As I understand it: A ten speed chain won't work well with 11 speed cassette because it is too wide and simply won't work very well, this is more the width of the side plates on the chain than anything else.  The distance between the rollers is the same though hence why the chainrings between 11 and 10 speed or even 9 is fine when running single ring.
It's also why the tool for testing chain stretch works on any chain

shortcut

• Club Members
« Reply #36 on: 16, November, 2016, 04:17:31 PM »
It's also why the tool for testing chain stretch works on any chain

And Chains don't actually stretch (well they sort of do but really they don't) - the pins wear which means that there is both more lateral and longtitudinal movement in the chain around the pins giving it additional length but the side plates don't get longer.  Sorry - not a great explanation. :-\

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #37 on: 15, January, 2017, 02:52:50 PM »
Think my side plate got a bit shorter or longer today depending on how you look at it

LeahMc

• Club Members
« Reply #38 on: 16, January, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
I've just got mine switched from 3x10 to 1x10. Was able to manage Carrick with it over the weekend. If you see me totally struggling on the Tuesday evening spins it's probably because I'm missing my granny ring, lol.

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #39 on: 16, January, 2017, 01:12:14 PM »
It makes things much simpler Leah. Much easier to shift into the correct gear as the trail changes. Its a right pain shifting the front ring when you're in the middle of some technical stuff and trying to concentrate. Also you've lost some weight off the bike and less cabling so it'll all look neater on the bars. What size ring did you go for up front?

My Cotic drivetrain is shot (April 2015 apparently  ::) ) but I'm sticking with 1x10 on that. Gonna replace the 32t oval absoluteBLACK ring on the front with same and gonna try out the SunRace 42-11 cassette mentioned above for the craic - there are a few hills where the 32t x 36 ring was seriously testing my legs on the 26" wheels with heavy knobbly DH tires and I was losing form to compensate (rolling my hips and shoulders) so its a bit too heavy at times. I can push it but its hard work.

Seriously thinking about the SLX or XT 1x11 complete drivetrain for the Ragley when the new frame arrives.
« Last Edit: 16, January, 2017, 01:26:25 PM by Stephen McMullan »

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin