Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Garmin Edge530/830 opinions???  (Read 997 times)

DaveS

• Club Members
Garmin Edge530/830 opinions???
« on: 27, May, 2022, 12:39:49 PM »
So my Garmin Edge500 is giving up after ~10yrs  :'(

Originally was thinking of replacing it with a newer version of the same, but last weekend I needed to use Google Maps in the wilderness  :-\
It struggled badly! The phone/maps didn't know with any accuracy where I was, seem iffy about what direction I was facing, and kept asking be to move the phone in a pattern to calibrate it.

Now I wondering it I should wait and get an Edge530/830 with GPS? Anyone used one of these models in places where there are no trails?

Glen Dunne

• Club Members
  • If I Crash, It's Only My Pride That's Hurt!!
Re: Garmin Edge530/830 opinions???
« Reply #1 on: 27, May, 2022, 04:01:45 PM »
The 530 is the one I'd go for. The 830 is pretty much the same just has a touch screen!! Both are  very good compact computers!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

DaveS

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: 27, May, 2022, 06:11:29 PM »
The 530 is the one I'd go for. The 830 is pretty much the same just has a touch screen!! Both are  very good compact computers!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Had a better post (twice) but forum lost it because of image related issues  ::)  - not rewriting again  :D

It's the ability of the GPS offroad that I'm particularly interested in. Can it find it's way when there are no roads or Trailforks??
I've found a woods within cycling distance of where I live now, but there's no trails and even the fireroad looks like it doesn't get any use. I've tried to explore it using Google Maps, but it was almost useless.

DaveS

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: 27, May, 2022, 06:47:42 PM »
Found half the answer myself: GPS Accuracy is usually within 3m according to Garmin Support.

So the question left is: How good is it's compass or it's accuracy at knowing which dorection it's being pointed in? All I can find out about it so far is that it's a GPS Compass.

dom17

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: 27, May, 2022, 09:34:36 PM »
check this guys website, best reviewer of electronic gear. very thorough

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

saccades

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: 03, June, 2022, 11:03:13 AM »
tbh, most gps units are a bit shit at getting you from point A to point B on the fly off-road (and not much better on the road). There is a trekking GPS that garmin do, that is much better but still doesn't match google maps. Your problem sounds like you were in trees/deep valley and unable to receive enough satellite signals (3) or mast signals (they back up the proper gps) or one of the signals was bouncing oddly off stuff where you were. The north/south bit on a phone is usually good, but it relies on signal from masts to be really accurate (the sensors inside the phone work out which orientation the phone is to guess which way you are holding the phone to tell you north - they know the position of a mast relative to the phone and calculate it from there). With just a gps signal you need to move around a bit so that it knows whichb direction you are going in.

If you put time and effort in and load up a previous route they can be quite good, I've a bryton 420 (cheaper than garmin, savage battery life) which gives you turn by turn directions like bread crumbs.

DaveS

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: 04, June, 2022, 11:46:58 PM »
Yeah, you've kinda confirmed what I suspected on the GPS. I think part of the problem was the phone must have been turning off the GPS to save power if the screen wasn't interacted with in 30sec??? Which was impossible in the terrain.
Anyhooo, I've already put it on the long finger for now. Hopefully, one of them will appear in a summer sale :)

krezi

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: 05, June, 2022, 07:55:50 AM »
I think terrain navigation is always tricky for any gps unit given the tech limitations. It's especially hard to differentiate between vertical elevation changes. I used my garmin 530 for mtb navigation a couple of times uploading a defined route for the unit to give me turn by turn navigation and it was ok for longer spins where i was moving longer distance at an adventure spin but quite crap in a more compact terrain where there were trails above trails like in a Djouce for example.
The unit works brilliantly for road navigation

Pawel

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

DaveS

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: 05, June, 2022, 01:04:59 PM »
Yeah, I'd almost given up on the GPS but then went of a short loop in Slieve Bloom. I did managed a short loop, but it was a lot shorter than planned. I think that's where the GPS would have done well.

Also checked out the price of the Garmin Edge 130 Plus, best price I found was 181. In the same place the Edge 530 is only 28 extra, and the Edge 830 is only 109 extra. Feel like it's only a small saving for a large drop in specs.

NOPE! PRICES CHANGED :(
I logged in so site had my real address, then prices changed. Think caused by difference VAT rate in France.
« Last Edit: 05, June, 2022, 01:58:20 PM by DaveS »

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin