Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Getting v frustrated  (Read 643 times)

TooOld4This

• Club Members
  • MAD about biking
Re: Getting v frustrated
« Reply #15 on: 10, January, 2022, 09:55:52 PM »
John,
If you feel you are hitting a wall on your own then you could always look into getting a lesson or two.
The biking.ie lads do lessons for all levels and if you need a specific area you need to work on they can do private lessons.

I know some people in the club have gotten a lessons session together in the past.
Maybe a few other members might be interested in doing a session together.
Thanks Dave. I have looked a few times at that - but they seem to be infrequent. Deffo on bucket list though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liam Phelan

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: 11, January, 2022, 03:05:34 PM »
I've always found that the amount that your fitness level effects your riding is often underestimated.

When I'm tired or just unfit I'm all over the place on trails, no amount of skills or practice will help. But when the fitness is up and I'm on form, I'm like a different rider.

TooOld4This

• Club Members
  • MAD about biking
« Reply #17 on: 12, January, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »
John,
If you feel you are hitting a wall on your own then you could always look into getting a lesson or two.
The biking.ie lads do lessons for all levels and if you need a specific area you need to work on they can do private lessons.

I know some people in the club have gotten a lessons session together in the past.
Maybe a few other members might be interested in doing a session together.
Thanks Dave. I have looked a few times at that - but they seem to be infrequent. Deffo on bucket list though.

I just saw biking.ie have a session on this Saturday - Gonna give that a shot Dave !!!

nmcgreen

• 2018 MAD Club Champion
  • Committee
« Reply #18 on: 13, January, 2022, 07:02:22 PM »
Hey John,

Completely understand what you are saying.

Like all sports MTB has a learning curve and its important to get the fundamentals in place to help progress. Personally I have made the mistake of just riding trails - never really sessioning sections and not working on skills. This has lead to me hitting a plateau and I am trying to change that. I am now looking to coaching to help address and my fundamentals that are no where as good as they need to be to progress they way that I want to. I am also starting to break down part of trails and do them again and again still I get them right.

One of the simplest and best things that I have come across in sports is the concept of the 'adventure zones'. No learning takes place in the panic zone - this is not where you need to be. All of our learning takes place when we push ourselves just outside of our comfort zone. This normally means learning a new skill on a trail that you are comfortable with and then stepping it up gradually. So if a trail is messing with your head, you are most likely in the panic zone - not a good place to be. Take a step back, work up to it and another day you will feel you can take on more.[size=78%]  [/size]

[size=78%]

My 2 cent you are a great place atm to be able to move forward and get over your frustrations. You have spotted some limitations and gaps in your ability (better than not knowing they are they and ending up in a heap!) and you are looking for a path to improve.

Also don't ever be worried about walking a section - everyone does it at some stage! :)

Adrian [/size]
I walked (again) 96% of that trail off the purple road we did on the Xmas cycle . I think thereís a smallish descent behind the coffee shop in ticknock Iíll start trying to ďsessionĒ. I had the same fear of the drop on the couplet black trail (afterburner I think) for 6 months - but now I can handle that. I hope descents donít take the same amount of months !!!! Thanks

John, that trail off the purple road is quite a difficult trail, so you shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

The natural trail we did earlier in that spin (the trail we did after sateelite run, cant remember the name) would be a much better trail for you to practise on. It will get you used to the natural trails and the you can build up your confidence to go for the more difficult natural trails

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Reckless

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: 21, January, 2022, 11:09:30 AM »
It's a great thread to post and we all go through this. It's a combination of many things - finding out the right things to do, trying to apply them but building it up gradually.
That video is really cool Aaron.. its focused on one thing which is nice. A lot tend to bombard with information.
Taking a few lessons is a great idea, you'll get a quick assessment of where you are at and what to focus on.

I've only in the past few years actively started to look at correcting a lifetime of bad habits. You are at least getting to the right path earlier :)
As Stephen says its hugely a mental game. You need to take the positives from each spin, after a while you'll know when you got something right or wrong, and if it was wrong, need to just try it again next time.
Its very satisfying when something finally clicks.

TooOld4This

• Club Members
  • MAD about biking
Getting v frustrated
« Reply #20 on: 21, January, 2022, 11:56:26 AM »
It's a great thread to post and we all go through this. It's a combination of many things - finding out the right things to do, trying to apply them but building it up gradually.
That video is really cool Aaron.. its focused on one thing which is nice. A lot tend to bombard with information.
Taking a few lessons is a great idea, you'll get a quick assessment of where you are at and what to focus on.

I've only in the past few years actively started to look at correcting a lifetime of bad habits. You are at least getting to the right path earlier :)
As Stephen says its hugely a mental game. You need to take the positives from each spin, after a while you'll know when you got something right or wrong, and if it was wrong, need to just try it again next time.
Thanks. Responses here have been v useful. As has all the advice out on the spins. Iím hoping to be doing red bull lines come summer

Diablo666

• Club Members
  • If I Crash, It's Only My Pride That's Hurt!!
« Reply #21 on: 23, January, 2022, 07:10:30 PM »
Well John we were out yesterday and u seem to be able to do some of them drops u are talking about now, especially the one at the biking.ie hut!! U had no problems and once u did it the first time, the little Whoop of delight when u did it just says it all!!

TooOld4This

• Club Members
  • MAD about biking
« Reply #22 on: 23, January, 2022, 07:18:31 PM »

Thanks. Responses here have been v useful. As has all the advice out on the spins. Iím hoping to be doing red bull lines come summer

Welcome to the club Glen. Iím nominating you for the most amount of pre join intro rides Thanks for yesterday. I really was chuffed. I went back up today and did it another 3 times !!

Diablo666

• Club Members
  • If I Crash, It's Only My Pride That's Hurt!!
« Reply #23 on: 24, January, 2022, 11:13:45 AM »
No problem. It was good to go out and do the trails. I usually stick to the coillte trails, so finding out where the natural trails are was enjoyable!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin