Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Bike advice for a noob  (Read 423 times)

Nasilemak

• MAD about biking
Bike advice for a noob
« on: 13, October, 2021, 12:43:33 PM »
Hello everyone!

Quick summary - I'm Swiss, I just moved here (Kilmainham!). I like to ride my bike up a hill and for longer durations (between 4 and 8 hours). Never got into MTB as I never had access to good trails! I'd like to get into racing XC, particularly longer format racing if possible (XCM?). I'm not huge for downhill but love single track and technical climbing. I've done a tiny bit of MTB in Verbier but that's about it.

I'm looking to buy my first MTB, primarily for racing and training. Events I'm interested in would be longer format XC races here and in Switzerland during the summer. Initially I was leaning towards a hardtail as its cheaper and lighter. Given I'm <65kg I'd say something light is preferable, but understand that Ireland generally is quite rocky and Rooty so a full sus would be preferred and something quite aggressive. I'd be practicing and training around Ticknok throughout most of the year.

My budget is 4k. I could spend a bit more if it means better value.
Currently leaning towards either the Canyon lux cf7,lux trail cf7 or cf6 so I don't have to stress about destroying carbon hoops. Really like the look the spesh epic but its pricey for the same components!

Other bikes in the same price range doesn't seam to be comparable in terms of components.

Please let me know if you have any advice and if the bike's I have chosen suit the purposes I am looking for.

Thanks
Nasi

diamondG

• Club Members
Re: Bike advice for a noob
« Reply #1 on: 13, October, 2021, 02:30:09 PM »
Hi Nasi
Welcome to Dublin.
You've picked a good place to start mtb I think.
V different from Switzerland but I'd say but good trails near the city.

The most important thing you need is to take time to decide what type of bike you want.
As I'm sure you know there are different type mtb's for different disciplines.
And you need to factor in the types of trails you'll be using.
Renting a bike is a good place to start I'd say.
This croud v good and you rent at the trail head.
https://www.biking.ie/bike-rental

They may not have high end XC bikes but enough to give you an idea if you like hardtail or more trail or enduro bike.

Choosing the right type of bike important, no point in buying the best of a wrong type of bike :)

I'm sure you know but some types include;

XC, trail (the last 2 normally have hardtail options)
enduro, downhill

Trail probably the most common for stuff in Dublin IMO, but many like to ride enduro bikes.

I'm sure others will reply too.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

WeekendWarrior

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: 13, October, 2021, 03:31:02 PM »
Vitus Rapide FS is a good option if you can find it in stock (Chain Reaction or Wiggle).

feed

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: 13, October, 2021, 04:44:31 PM »
I have an Orbea Oiz TR which is a full suspension XC\Trail bike. I've used it for an XC race and have also done all the more aggressive trails in 3 rock on it. It's a good all round bike but definitely more XC focused. Would probably tick all the boxes for you apart from the availability one. Availability's going to be an issue with most new bikes for the next while I think. 

https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/mountain/oiz/cat/oiz-m20-tr

Bikeology in NAAS which is about 30 mins drive outside Dublin are Orbea dealers. Worth giving them a call to see if they could get stock.
https://www.facebook.com/bikeologyireland/
« Last Edit: 13, October, 2021, 05:03:20 PM by feed »

Nasilemak

• MAD about biking
« Reply #4 on: 14, October, 2021, 08:52:46 AM »
Great! All those bikes look like great options! I suppose you are right. I'd probably go with whatever I can find in stock really!

Also regarding a S or M. At 175cm I'm in between the two sizes. Usually for road I'd opt for a small as this would allow me to have a lower stack height. Would the same be applied to XC racing. I can imagine descending in aggressive position would require some big marbles.

Hope to see all of you on the trials soon!

DerMot

• Club Members
  • Club Member
« Reply #5 on: 14, October, 2021, 09:50:18 AM »
Personally I am usually between sizes and always went for the smaller size, until recently.

I found myself going OTB more often on smaller sizes and have found the larger size to now be more comfortable and stable.

I would recommend trying to sit on a few sizes and get a proper feel for it.  Rent or borrow a bike if possible.

Take measurements on what feels right and compare these measurements to other bikes you like or can buy.

What bike are you on at the moment and what size?  Newer modern bikes have come along way in the last 5-6 years.

Nasilemak

• MAD about biking
« Reply #6 on: 14, October, 2021, 12:22:28 PM »
Thanks for your response! Very helpful.

I'd love to try some bikes but generally bikes for rent are trail bikes so it's hard to find xc bikes that fit my interest.

One thing to note I'd probably do gravel rides/races as well as well as ride my mtb on slower road rides when I host introductory spins and group rides(my previous club in London expanding here).

Currently I ride a 53cm kinesis aithein disc which I ride slammed with a flush headset top cap with  -15 100m stem.
When comparing geo I can probably get close to this setup on both a small or a medium bike.

I bike pack on this setup too so I'm comfortable over long durations but I can imagine this would be a little too gnarly if I was to try to match this on an xc Mtb, particularly going downhill. Although I just want to go fast uphill rolling terrain. I understand there is some technical downhill in modern xc racing so hence a downcountry bike might be best for a noob with no trail skills.

DaveG

• Administrator
  • Member since 2012
    • www.2pi3.com/
« Reply #7 on: 17, October, 2021, 09:34:06 PM »
When I started out with mtb I was advised to start with a hardtail, to develop my skills before moving on to a full suss.It will be lighter, faster on the climbs, better value for money & easier to maintain.

I'm halfway between a small & medium, after riding a medium for a few years I moved over to a small, I love it. Bike is less stable, but much easier to move around on, more maneuverable & fun.

I'd say a 100mm travel, 29er, with a dropper post would be ideal for XC racing & long days in the saddle.

MTB bike packing is doable & a lot of fun.

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin