Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Bike sizing help  (Read 1039 times)

Ronan86

• Club Members
Bike sizing help
« on: 28, November, 2020, 10:09:33 PM »
Hey everyone hope everyone is keeping well !!

Have been a member on and off for good few years I have been on and off the bike for a too long, I have been getting out a good bit this year and have been bitten by the bug again hope to see you all about over the next while !

Hoping you may be able to help me on a sizing issue

I sold my old Canyon nerve which served me well and I'm on the mooch for a new bike I have settled on the Canyon Strive CF 8.0 but I'm right between sizing, Im on the high side of medium and nearly at a large according to Canyon sizing charts

My limited knowledge and online searching is telling me reach and stack are the measurements I should be concentrating on
My previous Canyon nerve had a reach of 410 and a stack of 603
The new Strive sizes are
Medium reach 440 stack 631
Large reach 470 stack 640
I'm 5ft 10inches or 177cm

I'm leaning towards the medium personally as it's a bigger reach and stack than I had previously and should give me the extra bit of room than I'm used to

But if anyone has any input on it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

paddyb

• Club Members
Re: Bike sizing help
« Reply #1 on: 28, November, 2020, 11:04:53 PM »
Iím not sure if it helps as itís a different bike but I am the same height as you. I have a large Orbea Occam which a has a reach of 474 and I would say itís the best fitting bike I have ever had.
Steeper seat tube compared to older bikes so it works for climbs and I feel centered on the bike when descending.

Ronan86

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: 29, November, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »
Iím not sure if it helps as itís a different bike but I am the same height as you. I have a large Orbea Occam which a has a reach of 474 and I would say itís the best fitting bike I have ever had.
Steeper seat tube compared to older bikes so it works for climbs and I feel centered on the bike when descending.
Paddy appreciate the response thanks,similar number to the large strive definitely food for taught thanks again

DaveS

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: 29, November, 2020, 07:17:32 PM »
Hi Ronan,

You came out on a spin in Feb(?) when I got a demo of a large Orbea Occam. Can't remember if you tried that bike out???
Anyhoo, like Paddy I'm around the same height, went for the large and don't regret it. BUT I'm not sure I'd be confident with a large if it didn't have the steeper seat-tube (77deg compared to 73.5-75deg for Strive). Thought, it might just be a case that you achieve same position by pushing the saddle forward more, depending on saddle rails?

muckwarrior

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: 29, November, 2020, 11:45:09 PM »
I'm slightly taller than you at 1.81m, and I demoed both the large and medium strive last year. Both fit me fine, and if I was forced to choose I'd probably go with the medium. Definitely felt a bit more nimble and playful.

Ronan86

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: 30, November, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
Hi Ronan,

You came out on a spin in Feb(?) when I got a demo of a large Orbea Occam. Can't remember if you tried that bike out???
Anyhoo, like Paddy I'm around the same height, went for the large and don't regret it. BUT I'm not sure I'd be confident with a large if it didn't have the steeper seat-tube (77deg compared to 73.5-75deg for Strive). Thought, it might just be a case that you achieve same position by pushing the saddle forward more, depending on saddle rails?
Hi Dave yeah that was me alright thanks for coming back to me on it !!
Cracking bike glad you are getting on well with it

Ronan86

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: 30, November, 2020, 08:07:31 PM »

I'm slightly taller than you at 1.81m, and I demoed both the large and medium strive last year. Both fit me fine, and if I was forced to choose I'd probably go with the medium. Definitely felt a bit more nimble and playful.

Thanks for the info Im definitely leaning towards a medium as the jump from a 10 year old 26er bike to modern bike with modern geo and reach numbers and to top it off a 29er
Turns out after doing a proper measure I'm a fraction less than 5'10'' which as disappointing as it is I've lost height helps a little with the sizing

I'm taking a mate of mines 2018 spectral-on out for a spin the weekend after checking geometry geeks site, it turns out the reach is 5mm longer and the stack is 9mm less in the spectral medium so should give me a good idea on how the medium strive will feel

Thanks for the input and thanks everyone for the help

The sizing should be the easiest part when buying a bike but loosing too much sleep over it

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin