Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Boardman MHT 8.9  (Read 677 times)

philly99

• MAD about biking
Boardman MHT 8.9
« on: 20, August, 2020, 02:32:33 PM »
So I am new to mountain biking and looking a fairly decent bike for around 1000. I came across the Boardman MHT 8.9 which appears to have a decent enough spec (according to my mate), has anyone got any other info advice they would like to share with me to help me in my decision to buy or not to buy? Thanks in advance,

DaveS

• Club Members
Re: Boardman MHT 8.9
« Reply #1 on: 20, August, 2020, 07:35:17 PM »
I would be thinking that a better approach would be to find out the geometry of the mountainbikes that you've already used and compare that with the bikes you're considering. Not necessarily to match them exactly, but to get you in the right area.

For example, if you've rented a hardtail from biking.ie (https://vitusbikes.com/products/sentier-27-vr-bike-sx-eagle-1x12) it would feel quite difference to the Boardman:
  • The Vitus has a 66 degree head angle compared to the 68 degree on the Boardman - so the Vitus would probably inspire more confidence going downhill.
  • The Vitus also 140mm travel forks compared to 120mm
  • The Boardman has 29" wheels compared to 27.5" on the Vitus, so that might balance out having less fork travel??? (29" wheels should roll over obstacles a bit easier).
As for components on the Boardman, I think the drivetrain looks fine (but I have no real idea on the wheels or brakes).

One other thing to consider pricing in is a dropper-seatpost as I think being able to have the saddle and the perfect height for climbing and then being able to get it completely out of the way for downhill is a game-changer.
« Last Edit: 20, August, 2020, 08:06:59 PM by DaveS »

DaveS

• Club Members
Re: Boardman MHT 8.9
« Reply #2 on: 20, August, 2020, 07:41:49 PM »
If you were happy with the geometry on the Boardman, here's another bike worth considering:

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/grand-canyon/grand-canyon-8/2619.html
It's 1400 compared to 1200 for the Boardman in Halfords, but in gereral has much better components* and a dropper-post.

* I wouldn't think much of the brakes on the Canyon, but the Formula Level T on the Boardman might be on the same level??
« Last Edit: 20, August, 2020, 07:51:51 PM by DaveS »

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin