Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Oversteer on a bike that I haven't change then stem on???  (Read 2189 times)

DaveS

• Club Members
Re: Oversteer on a bike that I haven't change then stem on???
« Reply #15 on: 12, July, 2020, 04:43:41 PM »
Maybe the stem isn't aligned properly or the handlebars aren't centered on the stem properly?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
Yeah, bars are centered and I think aligned properly (if not it's no something that I can see).

@Hywel

Yeah, think I'll contact them tomorrow. I can't see the headset bearing lasting long anyway, so it's replacement is a no-brainer.

Now thought, I'm now beginning to second guess myself! I can't see how any headset issue would be causing such a change... could it just be that I was running my front tyre too low and now at the right pressure it feels terrible?? Maybe my pressure guage is completely off??? :'(
Yup, think I just need to bring it to the shop.

DaveS

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: 12, July, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »
Is it possible that this bike is slacker than previously owned bikes and that is what you are feeling through the handlebars? Slacker bikes will tend to wander more, feel like they want to steer themselves. That is until you get them up to speed downhill and they feel more stable. But you do say it only started doing it. Were you cycling another bike before this one, jumped on it and then felt like it was driving itself?
It's definitely slacker than my old XC bike, but thought I'd got used to it. I hadn't been on any bike in almost 2 weeks - maybe it's just that, tyre pressure and that I was going slow because I was testing after the upgrades. I live faily close to you, so if you're home and wanna try, give me a shout and I'll pop down.

DaveS

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: 12, July, 2020, 07:40:25 PM »
WOOOHOOO!!!! I think the problem is solved.

I lowered the pressure in both tyres to what I thought it was originally.
Then checked the pressure in the rear shock, which was ~15% lower than expected. After topping it up, the handling was back to what I was expecting.

Out of interest, I tried pushing bike from saddle and it does still tend to do the same thing, but it takes a lot longer and tilting to add correction has some effect.

DerMot

• Club Members
  • Club Member
« Reply #18 on: 13, July, 2020, 12:15:05 PM »
WOOOHOOO!!!! I think the problem is solved.

I lowered the pressure in both tyres to what I thought it was originally.
Then checked the pressure in the rear shock, which was ~15% lower than expected. After topping it up, the handling was back to what I was expecting.

Out of interest, I tried pushing bike from saddle and it does still tend to do the same thing, but it takes a lot longer and tilting to add correction has some effect.

Yeah call down to me.

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin