Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Bent wheel... bent hub/rotor flange?  (Read 781 times)

hagetaka

Bent wheel... bent hub/rotor flange?
« on: 09, June, 2020, 09:52:27 AM »
Hi All,

Bit of a conundrum. I've been working on the bike over the lockdown; suspension service, regreasing bearings, brake bleeding etc (all with mixed results;)).
The last item was the rear rotor: it keeps rubbing the pads in one spot, which makes it hard to align the caliper. As I've been trying to straighten it for months, I just bought myself a new rotor yesterday.
The problem is the new rotor is rubbing exactly the same way. Now, the wheel is a bit out of shape, and the rotor seems to be following the pattern, but it doesn't make much sense as the hub should still be fine, right? Might the flange be bent or the wheel pulling at the hub somehow? Still need to properly check the spokes, but it shouldn't be connected anyway to the rotor?

Thanks!

Hywel

• Club Members
Re: Bent wheel... bent hub/rotor flange?
« Reply #1 on: 09, June, 2020, 10:38:05 AM »
So you've loosened the caliper bolts and tried to align it with the rotor while pulling the brakes?
Have you checked if the through axle is bent?
Wheel bearings ok?

To isolate the movement, try spin the wheel off of the bike, like you would in a truing stand, and see if you can see the movement there.

hagetaka

« Reply #2 on: 09, June, 2020, 10:44:44 AM »
I tried aligning with pulling in the lever with loose bolts, but it's definitely rubbing in one spot.
Haven't checked the axle though,and the wheel bearings don't seem great; need to figure out how to take the cassette off without the tools - I'll google :)

Good advice, I'll check later today and will report back!

Micheál O'D

• Club Members
  • MAD about biking
« Reply #3 on: 09, June, 2020, 04:17:05 PM »
Could it be that the wheel is out-of-true?
One of the spokes could be loose and causing the wobble in your wheel?

I have just developed a wobble in my back wheel and I suspect that this is the cause.
« Last Edit: 09, June, 2020, 04:28:47 PM by Micheál O'D »

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin