Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Leaking brake reservoir  (Read 1217 times)

krezi

• Club Members
Leaking brake reservoir
« on: 03, July, 2019, 09:44:17 AM »
Hey Guys,

After mysteriously spongy brakes after every ride on both bloody bikes I noticed there is a leak from the reservoir... The brakes I have is SLX M670 and XT M8000. Researching the net it looks like those are non serviceable items as opposed to just replacing the leaking seals as shimano are not selling the seal kits... I got 4.5 years of use for SLX and 3 years on XT. How long did you get for your brakes? Are there any aftermarket seals I can consider or just better off just getting a new units?

Cheers
Pawel

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
Re: Leaking brake reservoir
« Reply #1 on: 03, July, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
Hi Pawel,
Where is it leaking? Is it the "olive" seal where the brake line enters the lever? You can sort that out by putting a new olive on or even just re-seating the line. Apart from that I wouldn't hold out too much hope. I'm not aware of any aftersales service kits apart from just replacing the levers.

krezi

• Club Members
Re: Leaking brake reservoir
« Reply #2 on: 03, July, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »
Hi Pawel,
Where is it leaking? Is it the "olive" seal where the brake line enters the lever? You can sort that out by putting a new olive on or even just re-seating the line. Apart from that I wouldn't hold out too much hope. I'm not aware of any aftersales service kits apart from just replacing the levers.

thanks Stephen. Olive and plunger is sealed ok. On SLX ones it's leaking in the middle of reservoir itself where the yellow top part of reservoir is joined with black bottom one horizontally. Yeah I plan to order new levers

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin