Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Marathon Plus tubeless  (Read 2090 times)

Liam Phelan

• Club Members
Marathon Plus tubeless
« on: 18, January, 2018, 04:52:13 PM »
I had Tannus solid tyres on my commuter for almost a year now. Bit bumpier but good grip. But the back one hasn't responded well to the weight of a commuter with panniers, so it's completely flat spotted all the way round. So it's back to Marathon PLus tyres for now.

I need puncture proof tyres due to my Grand canal commute (It's full of broken glass).

But I'm playing with the idea of setting it up tubeless. Did a quick experiment with just electrical tape (didn't have right size rim tape) and it didn't hold air.

Am I wasting my time trying to set these tyres up tubeless or do I just need proper rim tape? Anyone tried it?

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
Re: Marathon Plus tubeless
« Reply #1 on: 18, January, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »
I might have some Joes Rim Strips at home lying idle in a drawer:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/joe-s-no-flats-tubeless-rim-strips/rp-prod20337

They're for 26" wheels but will stretch to 700c  ;)

I gave similar to DiamondG before for his CX bike and I think he told me they worked

If you want to give them a whirl and if they work they're yours!
« Last Edit: 18, January, 2018, 05:06:28 PM by Stephen McMullan »

WeekendWarrior

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: 18, January, 2018, 05:12:23 PM »
I had Tannus solid tyres on my commuter for almost a year now. Bit bumpier but good grip. But the back one hasn't responded well to the weight of a commuter with panniers, so it's completely flat spotted all the way round. So it's back to Marathon PLus tyres for now.

I need puncture proof tyres due to my Grand canal commute (It's full of broken glass).

But I'm playing with the idea of setting it up tubeless. Did a quick experiment with just electrical tape (didn't have right size rim tape) and it didn't hold air.

Am I wasting my time trying to set these tyres up tubeless or do I just need proper rim tape? Anyone tried it?

I don't think there would be any point because you'd have to run probably less that 40 psi for it to work, if it did work at all.

I used Marathon Plus tyres with tubes for daily commute along the canal for over a year and never got a puncture. Maybe I was just lucky.
With normal tyres I was getting a puncture every couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: 18, January, 2018, 05:15:31 PM by WeekendWarrior »

Liam Phelan

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: 18, January, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »
Cheers for offer Stephen but I'm actually thinking ghetto tubeless might be my best bet. Last time I did ghetto tubeless on a bike I didn't need to touch it for a year.

Yeah it's just I got the odd puncture that just missed the protective strip the last time I had Marathon plus.

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: 18, January, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »
Its essentially the same deal except you don't need to cut up old tubes when its already done for ya which is what the Joes kits are!  ;)
« Last Edit: 18, January, 2018, 06:24:28 PM by Stephen McMullan »

Liam Phelan

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: 18, January, 2018, 08:36:56 PM »
Its essentially the same deal except you don't need to cut up old tubes when its already done for ya which is what the Joes kits are!  ;)

Yeah but if you cut it right, the tube edges sit up against the inside of the tyre, making a nice seal. Rather relying on having smooth rim to create a seal. If you catch my drift.

Mac the Knife

« Reply #6 on: 19, January, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »
Gaffer / duct tape... I've used it in the past for ghetto tubeless and it works a treat..

There are lots of youtube videos about it...

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin