Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Travelling to trails  (Read 2498 times)

DavidB

Travelling to trails
« on: 10, November, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »
Hi,

Recently got back into MTB with a new purchase. I've read Ticknock trail isn't for a beginner but I did downhill as a teen so I reckon I'd manage - any opinions on this?

My main point however is getting to trails around Dublin (I'm from the northwest) - what is the best way without a car to a trail from town? Google maps says it's an hour+ cycle from town to Ticknock. Is this my only option for a decent trail? I'll happily hop on the DART to go further south and go from a station in Wicklow, etc.

Any advice is welcomed.

Cheers,
David.

Liam Phelan

• Club Members
Re: Travelling to trails
« Reply #1 on: 10, November, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »
My first advise is to join the club if you haven't done so already.
http://madmtb.com/v2_0/get-involved/how-to-join/

Northwest? Where exactly?

Ticknock is great fun for short run trails. New GAP bike park is very popular too.
I used to cycle from Dublin 1 to Ticknock in just under an hour all right.

Once you join the club you are welcome to post in the members forum when ever you are going for a spin and I'm sure some other members could help you out with a lift. Happens all the time in the club.

DavidB

« Reply #2 on: 10, November, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply Liam.

I'm from Sligo originally but living in Dublin the past few months.

That's great RE the club. Once I get up and running I'll join!

saccades

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: 16, November, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
Luis to brides glen then it's a max 20 minutes cycle to the leadmines trails (pm if you want the cheeky direct route I use), can get from there to ticknock in another 20 mins.

DavidB

« Reply #4 on: 17, November, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
Cheers! PM'd.

feed

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: 24, November, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »
Bikes not allowed on the Luas though !!!!

johnbelling

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: 24, November, 2017, 11:58:01 AM »
Hi,

Recently got back into MTB with a new purchase. I've read Ticknock trail isn't for a beginner but I did downhill as a teen so I reckon I'd manage - any opinions on this?

My main point however is getting to trails around Dublin (I'm from the northwest) - what is the best way without a car to a trail from town? Google maps says it's an hour+ cycle from town to Ticknock. Is this my only option for a decent trail? I'll happily hop on the DART to go further south and go from a station in Wicklow, etc.

Any advice is welcomed.

Cheers,
David.

The cycle from town isn't too bad, I did it for a long time but the last km is a bit rough tho. There are a few lads in the club that still cycle it regularly.

If you heading out on your own ticknock is a good starting point as most of the sanctioned trails are sign posted and there are always people up there that will be happy to give you directions. The sanctioned caoilte trails in ticknock are fairly handy too so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Leadmines is a good option but I think for the first time up there you would want someone to show you around.

Hope that helps

DavidB

« Reply #7 on: 24, November, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Thanks, I've been up with a rented from biking.ie. The signs are a great help alright and the trails are a great starting point for me too.

Looking at the map of Leadmines I figured I would need a guide alright. I'll stick to Ticknock until I get into a club!

Cheers.

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin