Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Tyre pressure??  (Read 470 times)

Gab

• Club Members
  • MAD about biking
Tyre pressure??
« on: 09, November, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »
hey!
Just wondering what pressure everyone is running?
I ride tubes and kitted up weigh around 85/90kg. Any suggestions for a starting point or a good balance between good grip and not getting flats on every spins?
Cheers!

ruth:D

• MAD Club Treasurer
  • Committee
Re: Tyre pressure??
« Reply #1 on: 09, November, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
Hey Gab,

I think this is going to vary depending on weight, preference, tyre volume(?), tubes/no tubes but I tend to run around 18psi up front and 20psi in the back - this is tubeless setup and I'm prob around 15kg lighter kitted up. You are going to want to run higher pressures with tubes and heavier weight.

Going tubeless will definitely help you in getting less flats! It is something that you could do yourself but level of difficulty will depend on the condition and type of your tyres and rims.

Mr. Tayto

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: 09, November, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »
What size wheels do you run? As an example, 29er tubeless setup runs best for me on lower pressures 18-20 psi. For 27.5 off the top of my head I think I used to run in the range of 25-30 and about 85kgs packed weight for high volume tyres 2.4-2.6 inches. For tubes, run higher than this, to be honest its a comfier ride going tubeless and saves a lot of hassle in the long run. As Ruth says best running lower pressure on the front for traction.
Bear in mind that for soggier ground you might need to run tyres slightly lower than normal. Horses for courses.
« Last Edit: 09, November, 2019, 06:33:48 PM by Mr. Tayto »

Gab

• Club Members
  • MAD about biking
« Reply #3 on: 10, November, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
Thanks for for replies!
Sounds like i definitely need to drop some pressure for now, and the aim is to switch to tubeless soon enough.
Iíve done a bit of reading too, iíll start at 40 front and read and drop 3 to 5 psi after each run until it feels too low, and then play with front and back.
Thanks again!

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: 10, November, 2019, 11:18:10 PM »
Gab,
I've been known to be the wrong side of 100kg more often than not. Double ply (aka DH) tyres are pretty much essential for me. I ride them front and especially back as I'm on a hardtail. They may not be the lightest of tyres but its only small potatoes compared to the rider. I can run them as low as you like tubeless on wide rims like Stans Flows. Yeah a set of double ply Vigilantes or Magic Marys can drag a bit but I'm not winning any races but no punctures!

Reckless

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: 11, November, 2019, 12:14:54 AM »
Main thing will be to switch to tubeless.  Until you do that , you won't be getting value from your tyres ,wheels, bike..
You can get a bike shop to do the work for you.
After that, you will find pressures of about 20 psi front and 25 psi rear to work, you can go a few psi each way from that depending on conditions,  weight. I typically run 17-18psi front and 22 rear and I'm 85 approx with gear.

saccades

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: 11, November, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »
Something missed so far here on all the advice you have been given is rim width.

The wider the rim, the lower the pressure you can go (so long as the tyre you are fitting isnít grossly outside the recommended fit (i.e 19mm can take a 2.35 max) Ė so if you have some old school 19mm rims and weigh ~100kg you might struggle to go lower than 30 psi and keep the tyre on the wheel.

I know starting at 40psi is way too high, back in the day Iíd run 35psi at ~120kg all up with 2.35s on a 19mm rim, any lower and Iíd rip the tyre off.

Something else to look at is what type of flats are you getting.

Thorn/nail = go tubeless (could be the tyre starting to perish too if they are old).
Pinchflat = go tubeless (or add an extra 5psi) , could be riding style too, ploughing through obstacles instead of riding them
Other = check your rim tape, also once tyres are starting to be worn out youíll get more flats, could just be perished tyres.

The reduction in noticeable punctures is a nice side benefit of tubeless, the main one is the lower tyre pressure required giving you better rolling resistance and more grip when riding.

StuntBikeSteve

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: 11, November, 2019, 12:10:33 PM »
Also missed is the type of terrain you're riding...
Running circa 40psi is probably fine if you're just riding the Coillte trails however, once you venture off those and onto the natural trails you will have to run significantly lower pressures to obtain the level of grip required to even stay on your bike irrespective of any puncture worries..!
Hope this helps..!

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin