Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Angle headsets  (Read 309 times)

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
Angle headsets
« on: 11, January, 2019, 11:29:38 AM »
Has anyone ever used an angle headset to increase the "slackness" of the bike i.e. by decreasing the headtube angle by 1-2deg? Did it make any difference? Is it worth it?

I have a 2013 Cotic Classic BFe 26er that I'm considering playing with. It has a head angle of 66.8 Static (68.3 Sagged 30mm on a 140mm fork)

Its a little steep compared to my other bike Ragley Bigwig 29er - 65˚Static (66.5˚ Sagged at 25%)

I love my 26er but its a bit terrifying heading down the steeper trails about the place.

Would it be stoopid to take 2˚ off the Cotic or should I just go and ride my bikes  ;D and use the BigWig for the steeper stuff

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 11, January, 2019, 11:34:35 AM by Stephen McMullan »

Pete D

• Club Members
Re: Angle headsets
« Reply #1 on: 11, January, 2019, 01:31:00 PM »
I've done it to a few bikes, trail to DH, hard tail & much squishy, have found it better in all cases for all types of riding.
Start with the most first!
May need to raise bars or experiment with stem length, etc.

Try https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: 11, January, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »
Cheers Pete. Yeah thats the headset I was looking at.
When you say start with the most first I presume you mean go for the 2deg change straight off and if that don't work out then try 1.5 or 1?
Is that it?

Pete D

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: 11, January, 2019, 03:21:27 PM »
Yep.
Each .5 is noticeable, however I learnt the most by making the largest head angle adjustment then use bar roll, height, stem length to adjust feel, then body position changes to boot.

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: 11, January, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »
Great stuff. Thanks for the clarification. Really helpful!

muckwarrior

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: 11, January, 2019, 07:37:20 PM »

I love my 26er but its a bit terrifying heading down the steeper trails about the place.

Thoughts?

Should have given you a go of my 26er hardtail last weekend. 100mm fork and 71.6 degree head angle

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: 11, January, 2019, 07:58:55 PM »
It would have been like a throwback to my first bike. You wouldn't believe the trails I rode on that yoke. White knuckle rides down T-connector north aka Smash and Bash into Ripride, old Turfsurfer, Romper Stomper etc etc. Spent more time on my ass than on the bike. Look at the size of that stem!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: 11, January, 2019, 08:08:05 PM by Stephen McMullan »

DerMot

• Club Members
  • Club Member
« Reply #7 on: 14, January, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
I put a 10mm longer fork on an old bike a while back (130mm - 140mm) which made a huge difference 0.5 degree change I thought.  Then a set of raised bars (38mm VS 20mm previously).  Could throw it down pretty much anything after that.

Have you thought about a 27.5 wheel in the front and/or a longer fork maybe, 150mm.  This would give you a 0.5 to 1 degree change.

On my current bike I put a whooper 180mm fork sagged to 33%, giving me a huge 1.5 degree change I think.  Down around 66ish now I think.  Took a fair bit of messing with fork settings to get the grip right, and had to change the stem twice to get the front weighted right but it's there or there abouts now.

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: 14, January, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
Cheers Dermot. Good info. It's my second bike so no issue to do minor mods like change headset, stem, raise or rotate the bars in the interest of science but I'd draw a line at  a new fork or wheel just for my backup.
« Last Edit: 14, January, 2019, 12:47:54 PM by Stephen McMullan »

DerMot

• Club Members
  • Club Member
« Reply #9 on: 14, January, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
I put a 10mm longer fork on an old bike a while back (130mm - 140mm) which made a huge difference

Should have said that when I got the fork serviced at TF Tuned, they gave the the option of changing the travel FOC(depending on fork type), it was 130mm, and had options of 140mm and 150mm.  I opted for the 140mm option.

I think it was about the same price as they headset price seen and produced a real change and ride was better too.  Ring them and ask about the fork that's on it.  Could be a simpler fix and it would also mean a nice feeling fork too.  Just another option.
+44 (0) 1373 826800,If you have a technical question then please call us in the first instance. Alternatively you can email a technician technicians@tftuned.com, https://www.tftuned.com/servicing-booking-faqs

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: 14, January, 2019, 03:12:57 PM »
Think I have that covered already. Its a dual travel RS Sektor coil fork 130/150mm so upping the travel is already there at the flick of the switch. Its a 26er hardtail so thats plenty!

I'll check the sag again. Its more likely the case that the stock coil is a bit plush for my bodyweight (and hence sitting well down in the travel and keeping the head angle steep on the hardtail) but again its a simple matter of replacing the coil with something firmer. I can turn up the compression damping a bit and sure I'll see what I can get out of the angle headset and maybe then think about a new coil if I'm sitting heavy on the bike which is a relatively cheap and easy mod  ::)
« Last Edit: 14, January, 2019, 03:18:44 PM by Stephen McMullan »

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin