Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: house and bike insurance  (Read 693 times)

nmcgreen

• 2018 MAD Club Champion
  • Club Members
house and bike insurance
« on: 11, September, 2018, 11:50:17 AM »
I've just discovered that my house insurance isn't covering me for my bikes at all - even while they're  at home - unless I take the optional pedal-cycle insurance, nominate each bike and then only get covered to a max of 1000.

Can anyone recommend a house insurance that does include bikes?  I don't want to take out separate bike insurance, so I'm ok with the fact that they'll only pay out 1,000 to 1500 if the bike gets nicked at home.  But I do need to know that the bikes are covered while they're at home.

THanks

Pete D

• Club Members
Re: house and bike insurance
« Reply #1 on: 11, September, 2018, 01:18:26 PM »
I use FBD, and they do, either I talked my way into it, or it's normal practice.
Individual items are covered up to 5% of the contents value (or some low percentage, that doesn't cover the value of some of the bikes).

However each year I make sure they have each bike named and replacement value, and they are covered, they appear on the statement in their own section.
There is a separate section on the statement 'sporting goods', they are not in there.

It's too good to be true, but each year I specifically ask to make sure they are covered, usually get transferred to a couple of managers, in the end I'm assured they do, and it says so on the policy statement..!

Had some bikes stolen a few years ago and FBD paid out after having a visit from an underwriter or someone like hat.

nmcgreen

• 2018 MAD Club Champion
  • Club Members
« Reply #2 on: 11, September, 2018, 01:53:07 PM »
THanks Pete.  I'll definitely look into FBD then

EldridgeH

• MAD about biking
« Reply #3 on: 01, October, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »
That almost does sound too good to be true. I've not heard of anything like this before. Definitely worth it in this case, I'll check FBD out too when my current insurance runs out.

liam

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 31, January, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »
Anyone had better look with this as I'm looking into taking insurance on new house at the moment.

So far the best I can find is cover of 1500 on any bike.

feed

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: 31, January, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
I have the bikes covered up to specified (by me) value with RSA via 123.ie     

One of the other lads had problems getting them to add bikes values for more than 150 ! to their policy but eventually got them to cover them.

MaddogIRL

« Reply #6 on: 04, February, 2019, 01:00:46 PM »
Aviva will cover up to 1500 (not great but better than nothing). They cover while at home (no special condition ie: locked in brick shed etc.) Also it is covered while not in the home! I double checked this...... It is cover if damaged or stolen while being used or in transit.

I didn't have to push them to get this either, plus all of the above is stipulated in my policy docs.

Hope this helps.

Brian

liam

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 04, February, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »
Cheers guys

Lambkoes

« Reply #8 on: 04, February, 2019, 02:40:02 PM »
Hey Guys,

I would be similar to Pete D above but have a higher specified value with Allianz (obviously depending on % value).

I query them every year and anything up to 2k is automatically covered on the house contents. Anything over 2k is specified and is then covered outside the home also.

I've 3 bikes, hardtail, road, and full suss. Hardtail and road are covered in the shed for under 2k, no details needed to be provided. The full suss however is specified and I have to provide the make, model, year etc. and it is then covered for the value I state and outside the home too. Specified items do increase the premium, but I think from memory it was less that 50 a year increase.

Thankfully have not had to make a claim at any stage so far, fingers crossed.

nmcgreen

• 2018 MAD Club Champion
  • Club Members
« Reply #9 on: 04, February, 2019, 10:40:16 PM »
I got my insurance through Zurich and put 2 of my bikes on all risks for very little money. 50 max on top of my regular premium. Couldn't believe what good value it was

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin