Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: Canyon suspension - maintenance  (Read 910 times)

terencemc

Canyon suspension - maintenance
« on: 06, December, 2017, 08:23:56 PM »
Hi there, I have a canyon nerve mtb from 2011. I got the suspension serviced in 2014 before moving abroad. I have only used the bike once or twice since. I know the official line is to get the bike serviced every year. What are your thoughts on using it again without a service?[/size]Also someone told me to invert the bike to let the lubricant reapply itself to the pistons - has anyone else heard this?Cheers  ;) front suspension: Fox Float Evolution RL O/Brear suspension: Fox Float Performance RP2 BSD

johnbelling

• Club Members
Re: Canyon suspension - maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 19, January, 2018, 05:13:10 PM »
sorry about the delayed reply...

leaving it upside down id a good idea and it does work well. , The other thing worth doing is making sure the stanchions are clean and spraying a small amount of ptfe spray or silicon lube on them , compress the suspension a few times a wipe off the excess . it should pull any dirt out of the seals and get some oil in from the other side.

Mac the Knife

« Reply #2 on: 23, January, 2018, 12:48:56 PM »
In theory this is kind of correct but it only applies to the oil bath & only if there is oil in the oil bath as it can slowly weep out & dry up over time - even when the bike is not in use.

The oil bath pools at the bottom of the fork. It is there to lubricate the stanchions and bushings. There are usually two sets if bushings - upper & lower. When you turn the bike upside down, the oil bath runs down the stanchions and lubricates these bushings. This is good and helps keep things running smooth.

If your oil bath is contaminated with dirt, water or has dried up, which can very easily happen as its only a few CC's, turning the bike upside down will make little or no difference and your fork will slowly eat itself from the inside without you even knowing. The first sign of damage is when you see discolored stanchions and usually by that time its too late. If this does happen its a very expensive fix - expect a minimum 200+ for repairs as the entire crown steerer unit (CSU) will have to replaced

You might hear oil sloshing around inside the fork but that's the oil on the damper which is contained in a completely separate chamber all by itself - turning the fork upside down makes no difference here.

The air piston is sealed inside its own chamber as well and turning the bike upside down makes no difference here either.

It does no harm but a well maintained good working fork shouldn't need external lubrication with PTFE sprays (fork juice or whatever) - all the lubrication should be coming from the inside. Once the internal lubrication runs out its only a matter of time before things go pear shaped.

You should really get a basic service done to the fork. I'm not sure how much a basic service costs these days but its money well spent if you consider the cost of potential repairs.

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: 08, February, 2018, 12:16:58 PM »
Great explanation Mac.

All things considered I'd much rather replace the dust seals and foam rings and give the lower legs a good clean as they could be clogged with dirt etc.

I've just serviced both of my own forks and one I got to just in time and the other probably a little late as there's some small amount of corrosion/scuffing on the stanchion from clogged up seals/foam rings.

I've absolutely destroyed a fork before from neglecting to do this - see here: http://madmtb.com/forum/index.php?topic=15.0

I'd definitely recommend folks to get at least a basic lower leg service annually or learn how to do it yourself. Its pretty easy really.
« Last Edit: 08, February, 2018, 12:45:31 PM by Stephen McMullan »

Mac the Knife

« Reply #4 on: 09, February, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
Spot on Stephen. Look after your stuff and it will look after you when you need it most.

Its surprisingly easy to maintain suspension forks. A lower leg service can be done in less than 20 minutes with basic tools and you don't even need to take the fork off the bike to do it.

The lower leg service is probably the most important to do because its at the dust wipers and foam rings where dirt and water gets into the fork. It doesn't get in at the spring or damping chambers as they are completely separate.

I'd highly recommend signing up to a bike maintenance course. I think the Biking.ie guys do one. They'll explain how things are done, what tools are used and how to use them properly. Its great to learn new skills & when your experience grows you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Not to mention the amount of money, time and grief you'll save by doing these simple jobs yourself.

I've shown a few people how its done & they're always amazed at how easy and straight forward it actually is to do.

Ratz

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: 15, February, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
Hey Gerry! Any chance of posting a youtube video that demonstrates the simple service to which you are referring to. I know one of my stanchions was discoloured before I had it shop serviced. At the SRAM tent at the Roc D-Azur I showed them the issue and they said it was fecked now, but regular cleaning by means of the simple service you are referring to would help to prolong the life of the terminally ill fork! I have looked at videos but am unsure exactly which represents the simple service. Cheers!!
Mark

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: 15, February, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »
Here's what I'm talking about for Rockshox forks:

/>

Ratz

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: 15, February, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »
Legend Steve

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Mac the Knife

« Reply #8 on: 16, February, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »
That's what I love about Rockshox - they don't keep it a secret, they make it real easy to look after your forks.

One thing I will say though, preparation is key, so before you do anything..

Download the service PDF and make sure you have the right service parts and oils for your fork.

I'd recommend getting some graduated syringes or graduated beakers so you know exactly the right amount of oil to use. Syringes are better though, they are cleaner to use and can be used upside down or at an angle.

This type of thing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEDICAL-SYRINGES-Injection-2ml-5ml-10ml-50ml-100ml-Tubes-for-Oil-Chemicals-ink/222841389188?epid=1473236245&hash=item33e261c084:m:m32zAiIuJebYPvvUheGAmQg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-Transparent-Measuring-Graduated-Cylinder-Tube-Tool-10ml-25ml-50ml-100ml/292448526334?epid=11010834613&hash=item44174a5ffe:g:F34AAOSwBp9ag0SL

It has the potential to be a very messy job first time round so have an oil pan (or the likes) ready and lots of clean rags to soak up any spillages - disposable kitchen towels are better for soaking up suspension oil.

Watch that video a few times so your familiar with the procedure and take your time doing it so you don't skip or miss anything.

Lastly, its very important to set yourself up on a nice clean work surface away from all dirt. If you do any any grinding, metal or wood work make sure your well away from dirt, dust & debris.

Use a clean cloth for all the cleaning of the fork.

Once you do this procedure once, you'll fly through it the next time. Very satisfying when you can do it yourself.

Here's the same procedure for FOX forks.

Ratz

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: 16, February, 2018, 01:23:10 PM »
Thanks Gerrymac

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Nidge

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: 19, February, 2018, 05:17:37 PM »
Yo Gerry why don't you set up a maintenance course. I would Defo be interested and I'm sure plenty more would

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: 19, February, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »
biking.ie do foundation level classes: https://www.bikemaintenance.ie/inventory/mountain-bike-maintenance

I did the class a few years back and it was very helpful just to get you used to fettling with your bike. However it doesn't cover things like brake bleed, servicing your hubs or suspension. However there are vids on the internet for all of that. Alternatively if there was demand we could ask someone to run a bespoke course for the club.

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin