Mountain Biking Association of Dublin

Author Topic: What bike should I buy? New to Dublin's tracks  (Read 209 times)

Moonphase

• View Profile
What bike should I buy? New to Dublin's tracks
« on: 11, November, 2017, 10:54:21 PM »
Hi,

I'm new in Dublin / Ireland. I'm originally from France, Paris. I've been biking in France for over 2 years now. Mainly cross-country type of rides. I visited Ticknock today and had a chance to discover multiple tracks. It's clearly not what I'm used to but I imagine some of them are more suitable for beginners. I was actually walking so I didn't have the opportunity to ride them myself.

Anyway, even if this is not really what I'm used to, I really want to give it a try. Worst case scenario, I will just get better...hahaha. I'm now planing to buy a bike because I don't think my current Superfly 7 (hardtail) will make it through (thoughts on that?). I've checked a couple of models and I'd love to have your feedback about them :
My preference goes for the second one as it seems to be the best value for money but I'm not sure which bike is the best to ride TickNock's tracks. Could you please give me some feedback?

Thanks in advance for your help,

DaveE

• Club Members
    • View Profile
Re: What bike should I buy? New to Dublin's tracks
« Reply #1 on: 12, November, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »
Myself and plenty of lads ride hardtails around Ticknock with no problem.
I'd give it a few spins on your bike before getting a new one.

AussieSteve

• MAD MTB Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12, November, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »
Welcome to Dublin!  One of the great things about riding in Dublin is the variety of trails, basically at the outskirts of the city.  There's plenty of XC style trails at Ticknock and other riding locations nearby.

In terms of bike choice, it depends on what type of trails you enjoy riding and where you want to spend most of your time on the bike.  Your Superfly will be perfect for XC trails, but once you get into some of the enduro-style natural stuff, which will be steeper and more technical, then you would appreciate a bike with slacker geometry - whether it be hardtail or full suss.

Biking.ie rent out Vitus hardtails with a slacker 66.5 degree head angle, which are ideal for the trails that we ride at Ticknock.  Hardtails are a good starting point for number of reasons, they're lighter, easier to maintain and you'll get better spec for your money.

We have an intro spin on this coming Saturday 18/11, last one for the year.  It would be worth joining us to get a feel for some of the local trails.  See this forum thread for details http://madmtb.com/forum/index.php?topic=37.0

Stephen McMullan

• Club Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13, November, 2017, 04:06:16 PM »
The Superfly 7 looks great for XC and long distance. There's a lot more biking in Dublin and Wicklow than just Ticknock. Personally I would not sell the hardtail any time soon as its the perfect bike to explore the hills.

If you want to ride more technical rocky trails, all mountain style or Enduro then for sure you might need a more "aggresive" style bike.

These ones are that style:

I rode a Trek Fuel Ex 29er over in Mallorca this year and its a pretty awesome bike. I rode it pretty hard down a lot of rocks, jumped it and it felt very solid and in control and fast...damn fast.

saccades

• Club Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16, November, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »
Bonjour!

The superfly is fine, you'll be a little slower (maybe) on the enduro style rocky stuff but it's not racing so those precious 20 seconds don't matter.

SoaringPanda

• Club Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18, November, 2017, 01:11:27 PM »
The Trek Remedy models are going at a good price on All Tricks at the moment. It would definitely fall into more aggressive trail bike/Enduro category but I'd image they'd be a great do it all machine.
« Last Edit: 18, November, 2017, 02:00:05 PM by SoaringPanda »

Copyright © Mountain Biking Association of Dublin